Friday 25 October 2019

Forever Chasing Supernovas

Some competition entries take seconds; others take hours - but if you're getting into the zen of the endeavour, that's no bad thing. Well, it might be a bad thing if you're in the middle of your manager's PowerPoint presentation, but you get the point.

By way of example, Fortnum & Mason have recently been running a short story competition, with a shedload of gourmet chocolate being awarded to the winner. By any measure, that's a nice prize. It's also a nice challenge.



The brief? Write a 500-word story for their chocolate library. Said story must be inspired by one of three starting points vaguely related to a specific F&M chocolate bar.

I've gone for the Forever Chasing Supernovas (milk chocolate and passionfruit) bar - based on the brief that "for the last 1707 years, four passionate astronauts have hurtled through space, on the hunt for a peculiar portal to a spell-binding dimension".

Science fiction is not my forte, however, so I'm really hoping the stories are being judged by a Beatles fan. Not that the Beatles are my forte either... Anyway, here's my effort - let me know how many songs can you identify therein!

Forever Chasing Supernovas

Happy birthday, Captain! You’re 1,740 today, but you don’t look a day over 64!
“I’d not look a day over 33 if you’d only leave me in stasis.”
Lieutenant Harrison’s baked a cake!
“I sincerely doubt that.”
OK. I baked the cake. But Lieutenant Harrison gave me the recipe.
“You woke up Lieutenant Harrison just to bake a cake?!”
Well, technically, she was already awake…
“You’re saying she disabled the hibernation protocol from the bridge while cryogenically frozen inside a locked stasis pod?”
Yes. I mean no. Um. It was an accident.
“You brought her out of stasis by accident?”
Yes. An accident. I was lonely so I accidentally pressed the off button.
“Ringo, you’re a robot.”
Android.
“Whatever. You’re programmed aren’t you?”
Correct.
“And what is your prime directive?”
To safeguard the crew as we traverse the Kanaloa nebula and pass through the Māla wormhole.
 “So, why are we having this conversation?”
Because it’s your birthday!
“This isn’t about me is it? Last week you thawed me out for World Stationery Day.”
But you love pens!
“I’ve not seen a pen in 1,700 years!”
But everyone loves pens!
“Who’s ‘everyone’, Ringo?! Everyone we ever knew died centuries ago! Heck, for all we know, civilisation itself died centuries ago. It’s not like Earth’s been in contact for, I dunno, the last thousand years or so!”
You know what you need? A proper blowout. You know, sit back … let the evening go. Live for the moment. Enjoy the show.
“What I need is to be put back into cryostasis.”
I’m sorry Jean-Paul, I’m afraid I can’t do that.
“What do you mean you can’t do that?! Your prime directive…”
…is to look after you, yes, and that includes not letting you sleep through dangerous astronomical phenomena, such as Phi Mu 217-9300 going supernova.
“I’m sorry, what?”
In approximately 90 seconds, Phi Mu 217-9300 will go supernova.
“What?! Where’s Georgia?! Where’s Mack?!”
Lieutenant Harrison is on the bridge, transmitting data back to Earth. Mr McKenzie is … not at his post. I think he’s unwell.
“Why didn’t you wake me earlier?! We’ve got less than five minutes before we’re toast – I should be on deck with my crew!”
So, I’m not crew any more? How’s that supposed to make me feel? I thought we were friends…
“You know full well what I mean! I can’t leave Georgia up there all alone!”
I brought chocolate.
“You did what?”
Milk chocolate. Filled with passion fruit. I thought you might like it. Just a little token of appreciation, you know, from me, to you.
“I haven’t tasted chocolate for 900 years. I thought we’d run out?”
I was saving it for a special occasion.
“Like my 1,740th birthday?”
Or the end of a long cold lonely winter, perhaps.
“1,707 years is a long winter.”
Yes, but the sun’s here now.
“Yep, here it comes.”
And how’s the chocolate?
“It’s all right, Ringo – everything is. It’s all right.”

1 comment:

  1. brilliant! Good luck with it. When do you find out? I've probably only ever entered 1 short story comp in all these years as I never really know where to start. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete