Sunday 30 December 2018

2018: A year in numbers

6541: Estimated prize value (£). In a world where RRP bears little relation to market value, and some prizes are in any case not available to buy, this figure is naturally informed by a bucketload of guesswork. My day out at the ladies’ Wimbledon final is a case in point. Anyone looking for a vaguely similar experience would be spending £3000 on debenture tickets. Even without access to the hospitality zone, the cost of lunch and afternoon tea for two, along with centre court tickets and a keg of Pimms would have pushed me so far into the red that I’d have been living off glacé cherries and expired medicine for the foreseeable future. Obviously, there's more than one way to skin the proverbial accountant; in the present case, however, the flaying technique is academic: 2018 has been my most successful year by some margin.

1400: Volume of liquor won (ML). With a bottle of Italian gin and a bottle of Irish whiskey in the bag, this has been my best year for the hard stuff. Complementing this, there were also a dozen bottles of beer and a dozen bottles of cider to ease the trauma of parenting. Maybe next year I’ll win some Alka-Seltzer too.


390: Highest-value prize that was nothing to do with tennis (£). These watches were designed by a madman. Some days they make my brain hurt so much that I have to wear something different instead. But aren’t they just the cutest?


378: Value of vouchers won (£). Unlike cash wins, vouchers are great because the cretins at E.On can’t nick them after lousing up your gas bill, again. Most excitingly this year, I’ve had £150 in John Lewis vouchers and £100 to blow on the absurdly beautiful shirts made by JL Berlue. I’ve also had vouchers for Decathlon (£90), Screwfix (£25), the Google Play Store (£15), Starbucks (£10), Toymaster (£10) and Amazon (£3) - the latter coming from the brilliant Ribena promotion where the prizes may have been small, but boy were they persistent.

200: Cash won (£). A £200 injection into the bank account is always great, even if it does end up in some faceless utility company’s slush fund.

90: Number of wins. Despite a couple of dry patches and (all things considered) a relatively quiet December, I’m not far off two wins a week. I’m well chuffed with that!

55: Number of Instagram wins. More than half of my wins came from Instagram this year, but what started as a purple patch regressed into a blue period not long after the summer. Based on nothing more than anecdotal evidence, I suspect this was due to more promoters running comps over multiple channels, and more comps allowing multiple entries, but I couldn't possibly say for sure. Sometimes the ball just bounces the wrong way.

7: Value of spoiled wins after my serum sample smashed on the bathroom sink after my first-born hit the bathroom cabinet like a bull in a bran tub (£). Hilarity did not ensue.


4.69: Value of wombled winnings (£). After finding a suite of McDonald’s Monopoly stickers par terre, I indulged my first-born with a Big Mac Meal, which he tackled like the aforementioned bull in a bathroom cabinet. Temporary adoration ensued.


4: Cost to redeem Lucozade win (pence). Again, still?! That’s two years in a row that I’ve had to pay to receive my “free” bottle of Lucozade prize!

1: Comping mother. Now that my mum has moved down the road I’m doing my utmost to induct her into the comping community (read: nagging and nagging and nagging till she enters certain comps). In the last four weeks, she’s won a Bonne Maman hamper, £30 John Lewis vouchers and posh handcreams and house fragrance stuff from Lavender & Lillie. Considering that she’s only entered about ten comps, that's quite some win rate…

So much for the numbers, but what about the graphs? Well, to be honest, I failed to record a bunch of useful information this year, so my pie charts would be neither use nor ornament. I can, however, offer a long-tail graph to illustrate the distribution of prize value...


As one would expect, most of the prizes were worth under £50. Twenty-one (23%), however, were worth at least £50. Again, I'm really happy with that!

What do the stats say about your year? Let me know in the comments below!

8 comments:

  1. I really need to up my volume in liquor won figure next year - 0ml 🙈😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving this format of comping review Neill! Enjoyed another year of comping alongside you, hope you have a fantastic 2019!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comping wouldn't be the same without you - Have an awesome 2019!

      Delete
  3. I have just found your written blog after hoping over from watching your December unboxing video. I've watched all your video's but not seen your written words. Your stats and the way you have presented them is great. I've been coming this time round for 11 years - I used to keep my stats until I retired 3 years ago! Now with allegedly more time on my hands I spend less time comping and don't keep consistent records. My goal this year is to devote much more time to comping - this is my challenge and I want to see if increased efforts pay dividends. You never know I may start unboxing too! Happy New Year - hope it's a lucky and fruitful one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there - Thanks for stopping by! 11 years a comper - that's a great track record :D Have an awesome 2019 & don't forget that spreadsheet!

      Delete
  4. Never realised you had a blog, been watching your prize unboxing videos for ages. just read some of this out to my husband and we've been having a good giggle; comping brings happiness indeed.
    I looked at my stats and won way over 100 prizes but that's because loads of them were from Carabao, Doritos and those rubbishy bags from Cadbury plus I have listed what the kids described as 'our haul from Marian's MacMillan coffee morning.' Wish I HAD had Santa's sleigh that day, I ended up having to park miles away and we had tons of stuff to carry.
    My kids were not impressed this year either when I called them down to open a heavy box which I thought (hoped) might be a Product of the Year goody bag - only to find lots of Ace cleaning and laundry products inside! (No Alka Seltzer or alcohol tho!)
    Happy comping for 2019

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there's nothing like watching the children's face when you tear into a box full of fabric conditioner and oven cleaner! Hope your 2019 is full of expensive tickets and quality bags!

      Delete