Friday 9 November 2018

Bonkers

I won watches. Fancy watches. His & Hers fancy watches. They’re made by Mr Jones Watches, and they’re utterly bonkers.


Hand-made in London with a self-winding mechanism, on the face of it, there’s nothing half-cocked about these timepieces - unless you’re looking for some kind of instrument with which to measure the passage of time with any degree of accuracy.

It’s worth noting that the last time I had to consult the instructions for a wristwatch I was six. In that respect, this win has given me an exquisitely novel way to relive my childhood that doesn’t entail wrestling with the hourly chime on a plastic Casio.

While it’s not the first time someone has designed a wristwatch with neither numbers nor hands, this has to be one of the most bonkersest designs yet. It’s like someone copped a snook at the entire history of timekeeping and thought, nah - I’ve got a much better idea.

I’m going to level with you here: it’s not a practical solution. If you’re the type of person who keeps time through quick, furtive glances at their watch, then you’d hate these.

On the other hand, if you want a wrist ornament that demands contemplation before it yields the vaguest insight into matters horological, then this is the stuff of dreams.

I love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment