Wednesday 21 March 2018

On belligerence

Sometimes I win. Sometimes I learn. And sometimes I do the same thing over and over again in the hope that things will turn out differently next time.

Some would call that the very definition of insanity. And sometimes they’d be right. Sometimes, however, it’s less clear-cut.

Case in point: I used the same Faces for Florida entry for three weeks in a row. After failing to pass muster on the first week, the likelihood of a subsequent win was slim to nil, but since I didn’t have any better ideas, my only option was to hope the rest of the field had a bad day.

Fanciful thinking? Maybe so, but a long shot is better than no shot, as Steven Bradbury found in the 2002 Winter Olympics when everyone else in the 1000m speed skating final fell over, leaving him to collect the gold.

Unfortunately for me, in this instance, the other entrants blew me out of the water. But on the plus side, I don’t have to worry about taking a volatile eight-year-old on a long-haul flight.

Then there was the time, about three years ago, when I tried to win a Weetabuddy. For the uninitiated, this recurring competition requires entrants to scatter fruit on their breakfast in a sufficiently artful manner that it looks like a face. I chose the path less travelled, and skewered fruit to my biscuit so it could stand up.

My weetabuddy

As luck would have it, the promoter was looking for balanced breakfasts rather than edible voodoo dolls, and my entry failed to make the grade. Not that I really minded - at that point I was in thrall to the comping monkey on my back, and entering every effort comp I could find, whatever the prize.

But I kept the picture. It wasn’t like it was well composed, or for that matter remotely clever. But I did love how perfectly it encapsulated the absurdity of comping - after all, who in their right mind would pin blueberries to their cereal just to win a fluffy Weetabix? And more to the point, why would anyone even want a fluffy Weetabix?

I can’t answer that last question, but I do know that my mojo was wanting a boot up the jacksie towards the end of last year, and on a whim, I entered the competition again. With the same picture.

Common sense would suggest that having failed once, the picture would only flop again. But common sense can bite me. I won that fluffy Weetabix. And my son loves it. At long last, he can hug his favourite cereal - something I’ll never manage with granola.


So, what’s my point? Simple! Stubbornness pays.

Has your persistence, belligerence or plain old dogged refusal to quit, won you any prizes? Let me know in the comments below!

4 comments:

  1. brilliant. Yes it's definitely worth doing rather than going to the effort of doing a different photo for something like this. well done! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you saying about taking extra photos for effort comps just in case they can be reused - that's a brilliant tip too!

      Delete
  2. When I first started comping, when I thought Facebook like and share comps were all there was, I was determined to win from DesignaCushions, I put every ounce of my penmanship into my answers but to no avail - surely MY answer was better than the winner's? Then one day, I put in a half-hearted answered and blummin' well won. And then she sent me a second cushion by mistake! (I did message her as I didn't w ant someone to be sat waiting and waiting for their prize to turn up but she said I could keep it and I slept soundly, my conscience clear)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes luck moves in mysterious ways! Back in the day, one of my prizes - funky nesting tupperware - was delivered twice too, and they told me to keep it. Still using both sets today - and also with a clean conscience! :D

      Delete